Little Meg goes to the frozen northland

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Viva Pepe II!

I've learned a little bit about pink flamingos in the past couple weeks. Shortly after Pepe's kidnapping, I learned that the original manufacturer of authentic pink flamingos has closed. That in response to this new scarcity, flamingos were being sold for astronomical prices on ebay. Gasp!

This added a whole new twist to the Pepe robbery. No longer did it seem the act of errant, but potentially reformable, hooligans. A prank. Oh no. Now there was an economic aspect! Not only did the criminals steal someone's beloved lawn ornament, but they did so with the prospect of sure monetary gain. Hardened felons, these.

My labmate Erin could tell how devastated (devastated and angry!) I was about the loss of Pepe. So she secretly set out to get a replacement flamingo. I figured out her intentions because she kept talking about how expensive flamingos now were on amazon and then started hinting around that she'd gotten a surprise for me but that it was languishing in Kennesaw, Georgia. But I played dumb for the fun of it and pretended to not be the slightest bit curious about her hints. And the result?:

Pepe II

How exciting! How very, very exciting! Sure, he isn't authentic, but he came with ~8 different costumes!! Here's photodocumentation of the ones he's worn so far:














I've decided that, for now at least, Pepe II will live in lab. Doesn't he look majestic roosting in my ZZ plant? It's just not safe for him outside, and I'd worried about his costumes getting dirty or mildewy or blown away even if there wasn't the ever-present danger of birdnapping. And between my room and lab, lab seems more fun. My room already has plenty of personality, what with the postcard wall and all. But lab could definitely stand a little livening up. Also, with Pepe in lab, I now have the opportunity to change his clothes whenever I feel like I need a break from research! ;D

I'll keep you posted with the rest of his costumes as he decides to wear them. In addition to the ones he came with, Carol-Anne says she'll make him a tutu. I'm soooo excited! I hope it's white. I really want for Pepe to be a swan!

Philosophical question: In the first small vertical picture of Pepe, is he a flamingo dressed as a turkey dressed as a pilgrim or a flamingo dressed as a pilgrim dressed as a turkey? Please respond with a short essay in the comments :D.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home