Setting the record straight
To prove that I don't always eat eggplant, I thought I would let you know that this week I am feasting on falafels and steamed artichoke. Mmmm! And the best part: it's all eaten with your hands, no silverware!
I think that these are the best falafels I've ever made! They're certainly the most cohesive. I've made this recipe quite a few times. It's one of the oldest recipes I have out here; my mom cut it out of one of her magazines when I was in high school. They generally crumble somewhat while cooking, but not tonight! I attribute this success to my great new food processor. Thanks, Jenny! They fried up super well too. Nothing like March's eggplant frying debacle.
I'm so glad that spring is finally coming to California and that the sun is finally out. I can stop eating winter food! Yay! I've been waiting for it to be warm enough for falafels for SO long! The main thing is that now I can eat cold leftovers since I won't need my food to warm me from the inside (except for in the indirect, metabolic sense of course). Hooray! Visions of gazpacho and Szechuan noodle salad with peanut sauce are already dancing through my head! I hope we don't have a relapse of winter. Last year I got a little over-excited by the first warm weather, and ended up freezing with gazpacho for the rest of the week when the clouds came back. (Mmmm, gazpacho!)
And I'm so glad that I live in California, and Northern California in particular. That means that I'm pretty close to Castroville, the artichoke capital of the world. (We always thought that their slogan should be "the artichoke heart of the world".) As a result, the local grocery store has great sales on the most beautiful artichokes whenever they're in season. And there are so many different artichokes! Mostly they seem to vary by size: baby, medium, large, and jumbo! In Georgia we only had one type of artichoke to choose from (large, I think), and they were never as gorgeous as the ones out here. I'm also very glad that my parents taught me how to eat artichoke. How very prescient of them :).
This has turned into quite a things I'm glad for post :D. (food processor, spring, artichokes... What's not to love?!) But now I suppose I had better wash the dishes. I'm not so glad about that, but it will soon be done.
I think that these are the best falafels I've ever made! They're certainly the most cohesive. I've made this recipe quite a few times. It's one of the oldest recipes I have out here; my mom cut it out of one of her magazines when I was in high school. They generally crumble somewhat while cooking, but not tonight! I attribute this success to my great new food processor. Thanks, Jenny! They fried up super well too. Nothing like March's eggplant frying debacle.
I'm so glad that spring is finally coming to California and that the sun is finally out. I can stop eating winter food! Yay! I've been waiting for it to be warm enough for falafels for SO long! The main thing is that now I can eat cold leftovers since I won't need my food to warm me from the inside (except for in the indirect, metabolic sense of course). Hooray! Visions of gazpacho and Szechuan noodle salad with peanut sauce are already dancing through my head! I hope we don't have a relapse of winter. Last year I got a little over-excited by the first warm weather, and ended up freezing with gazpacho for the rest of the week when the clouds came back. (Mmmm, gazpacho!)
And I'm so glad that I live in California, and Northern California in particular. That means that I'm pretty close to Castroville, the artichoke capital of the world. (We always thought that their slogan should be "the artichoke heart of the world".) As a result, the local grocery store has great sales on the most beautiful artichokes whenever they're in season. And there are so many different artichokes! Mostly they seem to vary by size: baby, medium, large, and jumbo! In Georgia we only had one type of artichoke to choose from (large, I think), and they were never as gorgeous as the ones out here. I'm also very glad that my parents taught me how to eat artichoke. How very prescient of them :).
This has turned into quite a things I'm glad for post :D. (food processor, spring, artichokes... What's not to love?!) But now I suppose I had better wash the dishes. I'm not so glad about that, but it will soon be done.
Labels: food
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home