Out of the blue
I've been shocked lately by people telling me what a good dancer I am. People who should know better, even! On Tuesday, Andrew (my Tuesday ballet teacher) told me for the second time that I could be a professional ballerina. The first time he said this it really broadsided me. It was so out of the blue! I've never even considered a career as a dancer. I know that sounds strange; I mean, what little girl doesn't want to be a ballerina? But I've always had the much nerdier goal of professor.
I've also always been realistic about my dancing. I'm really not a very good dancer, which is why all these sudden compliments are so shocking. Definitely nowhere as good as a professional. I know, that's their job. They spend all day every day dancing, which naturally makes a big difference. But I'm also not as good as the best dancers in my amateur dance classes, and surely those are the ones who should be encouraged to audition for companies.
Partly I think Andrew might want to have a protege. It must make teaching more rewarding if you know that your pupils are going somewhere. (And I guess being a corp dancer of some podunk ballet company (or maybe Oakland Ballet; I hear they're going through some tough times) counts for something :D.) Jenny thought that I should seriously consider it. Maybe if I were a TA, but my cushy fellowship is certainly nothing to throw away... And, to be honest, I don't think I would enjoy dancing that much. My current 9 hours of ballet a week is hard enough to maintain!
I've also always been realistic about my dancing. I'm really not a very good dancer, which is why all these sudden compliments are so shocking. Definitely nowhere as good as a professional. I know, that's their job. They spend all day every day dancing, which naturally makes a big difference. But I'm also not as good as the best dancers in my amateur dance classes, and surely those are the ones who should be encouraged to audition for companies.
Partly I think Andrew might want to have a protege. It must make teaching more rewarding if you know that your pupils are going somewhere. (And I guess being a corp dancer of some podunk ballet company (or maybe Oakland Ballet; I hear they're going through some tough times) counts for something :D.) Jenny thought that I should seriously consider it. Maybe if I were a TA, but my cushy fellowship is certainly nothing to throw away... And, to be honest, I don't think I would enjoy dancing that much. My current 9 hours of ballet a week is hard enough to maintain!
Labels: ballet
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home