Little Meg goes to the frozen northland

Friday, April 07, 2006

If Jenny was a fish...

When I got my new fish today, I was also talked into getting a bubbler for my aquarium. Apparently the kind of filter I have doesn't aerate the water very well. Having high CO2 levels isn't good. It can alter the pH of the water, which can have further influences on water chemistry. That's one of the concerns about greenhouse gas emissions (other than that whole global warming thing). Not to mention, the fishies can't breathe if the water isn't well aerated!

So I just set up the new aerator. It's pretty loud, which worries me since it's in my bedroom. But I figure it should be alright if I turn it off at night. Diurnal fluctuations in carbon dioxide and oxygen contents are only natural, after all. Plants photosynthesize in the day time, so having higher CO2 levels at night will be very realistic. (Unless you're talking CAM plants, but those aren't aquatic; they live in deserts.)

At first the fishies were very freaked out by the bubbles. They swam around frantically, keeping close together for safety and solidarity. But they very quickly discovered how fun it is to swim through the stream of bubbles and get propelled upwards. So for some time now they've done nothing but zigzag back and forth across the back of the tank, plowing through the bubbles in both directions. They're so fun!

And I can't help thinking, that's exactly what Jenny would do if she was a fish!

(Wow, these fish are really adding so much excitement to my life. Just look at how frequently I've posted in the past 4 days!)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home