Little Meg goes to the frozen northland

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

More from the literature

Now, I know that I have a tendency to be a little quirky in my science-writing. I like to have my own style; I want my own voice (or at least, some voice) to be evident in my writing. But I've just read a book chapter that's far wackier than anything I've written. It concludes with these sentiments. (I've added italics for emphasis.)

Disconcertingly, given the projected increases in atmospheric CO2, we expect an ever increasing succession of invasive plants over the landscape. A dynamic competition will be played out over the earth, a dance of incomprehensible complexity, repleat with multiple interactions and thresholds. A plant that successfully competes today may not waltz as levels of CO2 increase in the future.


Um. Ok... This is especially ... special ... since the paper had nothing to do with climate change or carbon emissions. And I certainly hope the plants don't waltz! How terrifying it would be to have invasive species bearing down on you on the dance floor!

I think these authors must be crazy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home