Little Meg goes to the frozen northland

Monday, January 09, 2006

Escalation of the arms race

The results of Mitzi's bloodwork came back today. Don't worry, she's fine. The only abnormal parameter is her liver value, whatever that is, which is higher than it should be, but not astronomically so. The vet doesn't know what's causing this (it could be that she ate a plant she shouldn't have), but that high liver values (again, what is that?) could definitely be the source of all the excess puking.

The good news is that I don't have to give Mitzi her puking medicine any more (except as needed). Too bad, though. She hasn't yet discovered that I've been spiking her food with it. I was terrified that she found me out yesterday, but after 5 minutes of hoity-toity-ness she decided to gobble down her treat after all. Or maybe she did figure it out, but decided it didn't taint the food badly enough to be worth giving up her fishy treat.

The bad news is that now I have a new medicine to give Mitzi. A pill. Remember how Mitzi doesn't take pills? (I understand. Pills can be really hard to take! I never could swallow them. And then I got braces and got used to eating my food unchewed. Now I can swallow anything!) Riiight. Forcing one liver pill down her throat every day for the next month really doesn't appeal to me! I expressed these resignations to the vet. Apparently the liver supplement also comes in a liquid, but she really doesn't recommend that form of it. Evidently, it's extremely foul tasting stuff, and there's no chance it would go unnoticed in food. It's derived from milk thistle (how interesting: Cassie is really into naturopathic medicine and was just telling me about how thistle cleanses the liver!) which is just something cats really don't like taste of. I can believe it. I tried dandelion milk as a kid, and it was noxious! (Dandelions and thistles are both in the Asteraceae family.)

But this still leaves me with the problem of giving Mitzi pills. Every day. So the vet gave me a pill gun. That's right, I'm armed and dangerous! Cat livers, watch out! And it actually works! I just pill gunned Mitzi down, and got that pill swallowed on the first try!!

I pray that my bed will remain unmolested.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home