Randomized, double-blind, nested strip plot (with a half twist)
In the interests of science, can all of you who have cats give your cat a carrot and tell me what happens? And if you know anyone else with cats, see how their cats respond to carrots, ok? I'm very curious...
Mitzi just loves carrots. Absolutely flips out over them. Like they're catnip or something. Which they aren't. I just checked. (Not that I thought carrots and catnips are identical, but you'd be surprised at the variety of things that derive from the exact same species. Like for example, broccoli is the same species as cabbage, Chinese cabbage, cauliflower, collards, brussels sprouts, kale, kohlrabi, and tronchuda kale (whatever some of these are!)) But carrot and catnip aren't even super related. Carrots are in the carrot family (go figure), also known as Apiaceae or Umbilleferae. Catnip, however, as we all know is in the mint family (Lamiaceae or Labiatae). (Yeah, they changed the family naming scheme a while ago, which meant that a lot of families got renamed to comply. I'm pretty sure that the former of either pair is the currently recognized name.) I have some pictures of Mitzi flipping out over carrots at the very end of my June album, if you click on the photos link to the left. It's so weird! She won't eat them or anything, but she loves to lick them and rub her face in them. She's quite strange.
Ozzie isn't so wild over carrots, but he thinks that he's entitled to whatever Mitzi has, so he'll put on a show and rub in them for a little while, just because it seems the thing to do...
So I'm dying to know if all cats are into carrots, or if mine are just special. Please, test your cats! Test your friends' cats! Test random neighbor cats! And let me know!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home