Philosophical vision
Summers for me are basically characterized by a never ending quest for entertainment. So the other day, right in between watching tv while knitting a super-cool blanket and reading myself to sleep, I amused myself with an online IQ test. This isn't so unusual, I suppose. Two summers ago, when I worked at Jasper Ridge, I also went on an online IQ test spree. This one is much better than any of the ones I took previously. Those earlier ones were based solely on vocabulary and the speed at which you answer the questions. Seems to me that that's more of a test of education than intelligence, but who's asking me? I'm certainly no psychologist =).
The IQ test I took the other day could also be biased by education, but it seemed more reliable. It was actually sort of similar to the GRE. There were math questions, that required only algebra or geometry, verbal questions that required only a pretty rudimentary vocabulary (unlike the GRE when I took it, which used random collections of letters (definitely not words) on my verbal section. But hey! I got into grad school nevertheless =D), and logic questions. All in all, it was a pretty fun test. And the questions were mostly really easy. Way to make a gal feel smart!
The interesting thing about this test is that, in addition to providing an IQ score, it also tells you what your "intellectual type" is. Here's where the part about never trusting the internet comes in. It pinned me as a "visionary philosopher." That's a laugh! I took a couple philosophy classes at Stanford, because it interests me (I'll give the internet that much), but that's about the extent of my philsophizing. And my philosophy professors and TAs, far from considering me visionary, would surely be the first people to deny that I'm even a philosopher! I'm just that bad at it! (A common comment on my papers was "You write very well, but your argument is crap." (I paraphrase.) But hey, at least I write well!) Or perhaps I'm too visionary for their puny minds. That must be it =D. I refuse to be bound by the constraints of their so-called logic! Riiiight. (John thinks I have a brand of "logic" all my own.)
So hey! All of you bored ones out there (and you know you're bored if you're reading this right now) take the test! I'll tell you my score if you tell me yours =D. (Actually, please do. I'm trying to figure out what the limit is. Surely there must be one, and my sister and I got the same score, so that doesn't help me out) And definitely share the intellectual type, that's the most fun!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home