Little Meg goes to the frozen northland

Tuesday, December 10, 2002

Ants in my pants


One final down, one crazy-ass paper to go.

Yeah. The final was today. I wasn't worried about it. The class was pretty much a joke. And the final proved to be as easy as expected. Yay. But finals always make me antsy. Even if they're easy, they generate a lot of nervous energy in me. Which never fails to bug my friends. Mostly because this nervous energy translates into extreme perkiness before the test. I remember my friend Steph used to hate me for this. We usually biked over to Bio finals together. Bio finals were always the sadistic, 8:30 in the morning type. Steph found something intrinsically wrong in the fact that I was wide awake, cheerful, and singing Beatles songs to her at 8 in the morning on the way to a final. Oh well, oh well. Gotta keep your spirits up!

So I'm perky before finals, what about afterwards? Usually I'm just really antsy, really restless and fidgetty. I mean, I've just had to sit in one place and think and write for a good portion of my day. They usually also have a lot of build-up, so you can't just settle down immediately after a final. Nope. You need the whole day to play, relax. To not think. I really, really hate it when I have to do work after a final.

Unfortunately, today was one of those when I had to do work after the final. Not that I really got anything done. A most unfortunate state affairs. Yes. Not only was I hampered by post-final agitation, but I waylaid myself with an extreme caffeine overdose. Oh my gosh. Whoa. Coca-cola never does this to me. Coke loves me. Coke is my friend. But it's been intensely cold in my room lately. I don't know why. The heat just never seems to reach me. So I've been drinking a lot of tea. Whoa. Tea is apparently powerful stuff... And I had rather herculean quantities of it today. Not because I was especially run down, just cold. Really cold. It made me so antsy, so twitchy, that I couldn't focus to save my life. I think partly what made it so bad was that since I'd drunken so much of it over the day, there was absolutely no room in my tummy for food. All I ate until dinner was a bowl of Cheerios for breakfast, and some carrot sticks after my final. Not so smart... =) And you know, I'm still not sure if I felt so jittery because of the enormous amounts of caffeine, or because I was shivering from the cold. Probably both. Aii. I need to stick with coke.

Then this evening I had a hot date. hubba hubba. Don't worry. I haven't turned to infidelity. A "hot date" is my term for when I go out with a girl friend. We both had tickets to go to the "Urban Tap" performance in town. So we had dinner together. And then we still had loads of time, so we went for desert too. Mmmmm, creme brulee! The performance was pretty neat. Not what I was expecting at all though. I thought it would be something like STOMP, but it wasn't. Not in the slightest. It was very, very jazzy. Modern jazz, which is not something I naturally gravitate towards. But it was cool. And I think it was largely improvised (within some constraints, I'm sure). There was a tap dancer, a capoeira dancer, and a break dancer. And then a jazz ensemble and a video mixer, who projected onto the backdrop. The capoeira guy was incredible. I mean, wow. And the tap dancer was really really good too. There was this one really cool segment where the tap dancer and this vocalist dueled. The vocalist would do human beatbox type things to imitate the taps. Pretty neat.

So yeah. That's my day. Lets all seriously, seriously hope that my paper doesn't kill me.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home