Little Meg goes to the frozen northland

Wednesday, October 09, 2002

Over twelve hours at school...


Wednesdays are my long days. I'm totally tired. But it was a good day! Except for having to get up way early in the morning for class part..... But classes were good. I had four today. That's a lot of classes for one day, if you ask me. The first was a discussion section. It went well. We got a pretty good discussion going. And the prof smiled and nodded at a couple of points that I made. I figure that means I either said something intelligent and worthwhile, or he's condescendingly mocking my stupidity... Lets hope it's the former =).

After section I had three hours to kill till my next class. So I went to the library again. I don't know what it is, but libraries make me really hungry. I think it's a result of two factors. The first is that libraries are generally very quiet places. So my tummy decides that they're the perfect venue for vocalizing because it will be sure to be heard. Oh gosh, did it growl loudly! The second is that libraries are of the over-air-conditioned classes of building. So my body has to use lots of energy to keep me warm. Cold weather (or over-air-conditioning) really isn't meant for scrawny people... There's no way to get the blubber to insulate yourself if you're constantly required to burn your fat reserves for heat... Alas. (see. This is something Hollywood doesn't portray: The cons of skinniness.)

My middle two classes were really dull. I made a seahorse in GIS today. I've found an appreciator in Katherine. She's another first year in my program and tends to sit next to me. So I give her all of the origami things I make in class since otherwise my room and backpack would be full of folded slips of paper. I used to just randomly leave them in lecture halls for whoever happened to sit there next. Anyway, Katherine thinks my origami creatures are really cute, and I think gives them to her 5 year old daughter. She's cute.

Then I had another hour to kill before my last class. So I sat on the Quad and did some reading. While the library is of the over-air-conditioned type, the Quad is one of those fields that's over-watered. Sitting there always makes your butt vaguely cold and damp. It always makes me self-conscious. I discussed the matter with a friend today, and am happy to know that it's not just me. Other people who sit on the grass get cold, damp butts too...

There are always weird things going on on the Quad I think, but it really seems like Wednesday is the main day for them. Today they were setting up an o.b. tent. As you may know, o.b. manufactures tampons... Why on earth is there a tampon tent in the middle of campus? Very intriguing... I might have to check that out tomorrow. Though I don't know... Visiting a tampon tent is up there with having a cold, damp butt in my hierarchy of uncomfortable things... I tried to convince Eli to scout it out for me, but he thought he'd be even more conspicuous at a tampon tent than me...

By the time my fourth class of the day rolled around I'd pretty much used up my daily allocation of attention. I managed to pay pretty decent attention I think, but I'd float in and out a lot. And I was hungry.

When my last class finally ended, I still had an hour and a half to burn on campus. Tonight was the night of the Social Dance Club's first meeting, featuring a lindy hop lesson and pizza! I'm all over the free food! So I went to the room where it's scheduled to be, and felt just extraordinarily out of place. Everyone was sitting at a table, with notebook and 2 textbooks out and ready. Finally someone sat next to me who I was able to interrogate. It turns out the room had been switched. I was invading a history section. I got out of there fast!

The lindy lesson was alright. I took it as a lead since there were way more girls (of course). The guy had never taught lindy before, so I helped him out a little bit, and served as his follow (just when he had us guys alone and had no regular follow). He was good. Turns out he drove to San Francisco to dance at 9:20 all summer. I was so happy! Someone to dance San Francisco swing with! And 9:20 is my favorite swing club. Other than him, I was the best lead there =). There were a couple girls who'd done some swing dancing before, but for the most part it was beginners.

Its so great to be dancing again. I've seriously needed a hobby. I've been spending too much time with myself, and was starting to drive me crazy! =).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home