Mutters in my sleep
Hi all. Sorry for the extended silence. It's been a crazy (and not in an interesting, joke about it online way) week, just as I predicted it would be. Right now I'm taking a nap break. Note, this is not a break for a nap, but rather, a break in my nap. So if I seem incoherent, parts of my brain are probably still asleep. I just thought I should post something so that you'll all know that I'm hanging in there. That the worst part of my week of death hasn't killed me. If this comes as bad news to you, don't worry, there are still two days and one midterm left...
I'm a big fan of naps, by the way. Sadly, this is only my second real nap since coming to grad school. And I'm not even sure if it will count, since I'm not really intending on waking up before tomorrow morning. So why am I so tired? There's a no-brainer! A series of late nights (no bed till after 2) and early mornings (rise and "shine" at 7:30). This is pretty drastic for me. I generally need more than 8 hours of sleep a night. To get only 10 over two nights is bad.
So today was rough. I'm proud to say that I've never actually fallen asleep in a class, but today I came as close as you'll ever get in three of my classes. This is especially bad because when I'm on the verge of falling asleep, I twitch. I don't mean a little tick, or the head bob thing. This is an all out muscle spasm, though generally a small one (fortunately). And it seems that the more tired I am, the more violent are my twitches. Today, I twitched in class. Repeatedly. Hopefully nobody noticed.
But other than that things are going well! I guess. I hope. Ok, maybe I should wait till things are returned to definitively say anything... But I turned in one paper on monday (5 pages), a big scary take-home midterm today (24 pages (15 if you exclude the figures. Which is till quite long enough!)), and reviewed two journal articles in discussion section. The prof actually said "good review" when I finished! Here's hoping that he meant it....
Oh! And I learned the cutest thing today! So, you might remember that I tend to make origami in GIS class to stave off the boredom (not today though, today I just twitched and whispered with Eli) and give my creations to Katherine who then gives them to her 5 year old daughter Lili. Yesterday was Katherine's birthday, and she says that Lili took apart one of my models, figured out the steps, and made one for her as a birthday present! Wow. I've had an impact on a small child. A good one too! Who'd've thunk? =).
Ok... Time for me to get back to my nap. Maybe when I'm rested I'll say a little more about my impressions of the past week...
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home